Royal Enfield. Cafe Racer.

There are two things I believed I would never see in my lifetime.  The first, a modern cafe racer as sleek and yet still industrial utilitarian as its 1950s and 60s English predecessors.  And second, a Royal Enfield that I would be happy to buy, and ride, daily.

Yet, this morning, I opened the Hell for Leather homepage and what greeted my still sleep-burred eyes?  A modern cafe racer that does justice to its heritage, with a Royal Enfield emblem on the tank, and Ohlins rear shocks reassuring my kidneys that it would indeed be a rewarding ride.



Next thing I know, there will be peace in the Middle East and Casey Stoner will say something nice about, well, anyone.

Okay, maybe Stoner being nice is a bit radical.

But the fact remains, Royal Enfield introduced a ready-to-ride cafe racer "prototype" at the India Auto Expo, that is sexy, entirely not a cafe racer knock-off, and appears rideable.



And not the sort of rideable that is its 500 Bullet, on which I spent four vertebrate crushing, knuckle busting, weeks touring central India last year.  But fun, maneuverable, and reliably rideable.

Royal Enfield claims the bike is still in its concept stage, despite every indication that its stage is very much near-production.  When questioned by HFL, Royal Enfield CEO, Dr. Venki Padman called it a "work in progress" but did say that it could be set for release next fall.






I'd buy a lottery ticket (never thought I'd win the lottery in my lifetime either), but if Royal Enfield does move forward with its first wholly new design in five decades, its like I've won already.

Cheers!

For the original article, click:  HERE